Led by local FIRST LEGO League Explore partners, our FLL Explore Coaches Workshop in North Texas will walk you through what to expect this season. You will be introduced to the 2020-2021 PLAYMAKERS season and the basics of getting started with FLL Explore. Come learn more about team resources, registering your team, what to expect at our Festival events and more! Remote workshop dates for the 2020-2021 season will be announced in early November. Registration for the Coaches Workshop will open when dates are posted.
Coaches can connect throughout the season with other local coaches through the North Texas FLL Explore Coaches Google Group. Join the North Texas FLL Explore Coaches Google Group today!
THE FIRST MENTOR NETWORK
From finding their people to finding their path, mentors/coaches help students gain the skills and confidence to forge ahead and build their future with FIRST. And now, more than ever, we need to empower and foster the next generation of innovators to feel hopeful and build a better future. The FIRST Mentor Network is new interactive platform allowing mentors/coaches to find FIRST teams to work with virtually or face to face, locally or across the country, for a few hours or for a season. Learn more and create your mentor profile today! Explore the FIRST Mentor Network.
Guidance for COVID-19 Interruptions
We recognize that during the 2020-2021 FIRST season there will certainly be a variety of scenarios and issues that arise that make a normal FIRST experience challenging. The information provided in the Guidance for COVID-19 Interruptions Document allows for an a la carte series of options separated into specific categories from which you can put together to assist with participation this season. This guide is designed to provide suggestions and options and are not prescriptive; considerations for what is best for your local situation should be prioritized. Local health and safety regulations and guidance should precede any recommendations in this guide.
FIRST at Home STEM Curriculum
FIRST at Home is a 12-session curriculum series for teachers, parents, and coaches to engage students in STEM learning, skill development, and FUN in a variety of learning environments. Learn more…
New This Season
With your team registration, you’ll receive access to digital resources through the FIRST Thinkscape Portal, including PLAYMAKERS Team Meeting Guide and a static and interactive version of the of the Engineering Notebook. Click here for access instructions. To assist with remote participation registered teams will be allowed this season to order one additional PLAYMAKERSSM Explore set for $35 (Your first Explore set is included with $99 registration fee). These are available on FIRST online store.
Team Model Requirements
Your Team Model must be no bigger than 30 in. x 15 in. (76 cm x 38 cm). Teams can only use LEGO elements, must incorporate the inspire Model and must use LEGO Education WeDo 2.0 or WeDo to build and program at least one motorized part on their Team Model.
FIRST LEGO League Explore Materials:
- Getting Started with FIRST LEGO League Explore Video
- PLAYMAKERS Kick-Off Video
- PLAYMAKERS Explore Challenge Overview
- GAME CHANGERS Inspirational season resources
- FLL Explore Multimedia Connections
- PLAYMAKERS – FLL Explore Season Challenge Video
- Explore Model Building Instructions
- Explore Set Video
- Festival Event Sample Reviewer Questions
- Festival Event Sample Reviewer Sheet
- Festival Event Award Category Overview
- FLL Explore Certificates for Team Members
LEGO® Education Resources:
- Missing LEGO Elements? – Visit LEGO Customer Service Page
- Additional WeDo 2.0 Lesson Plans
- WeDo 2.0 Product Resources and Support
- WeDo 2.0 Teacher Guides & Preparation Materials
Coaches Workshop Presentations from 2019:
(Even with the name change these resources will be helpful with leading a FLL Explore team.)
- FIRST Programs and FLL Explore Overview Presentation
- FIRST Core Values and the Art of Mentoring a Team Presentation
- FLL Jr. 2018-2019 Season Picture Presentation – Sample Model and ShowMe Poster Pictures
- Survival Tips for New FLL Jr. Coaches Presentation
- Understanding the FLL Jr. Challenge Curriculum Presentation
- Building and Programming with your FLL Jr. Inspire set and WeDo 2.0 Kit Presentation